In Cash Money Dee-1 Lil Wayne Say what? whatsBeef? You Mad? or Naw? Young Money

N'awlins Rapper Dee-1 Speaks on Mixtape Banned, and Paying Off Student Loans


The New Orleans-raised rapper, Dee-1, whose real name is David Augustine, used to teach middle school in Baton Rouge. Then, in 2015 he signed a major label record contract with RCA's Inspiration imprint which eventually led into a tour.

A few months back on Sway's Universe, Dee-1 explains why his Lil Wayne-inspired Separated at Birth mixtape was banned.



I'd like to apologize to all the fans. This is a project that was needed in hip hop and i was excited to give it to you all. All i can say is that 1. this industry is truly crazy smh, 2. some bold actions have taken place behind the scenes, and 3. some people fear what the truth sounds like. Trust me, if no one threatened legal recourse, I would still drop it because I worked hard on this and i think this music would bless all who hear it, and add a much-needed perspective to hip hop. The topic of my personal safety was also brought up to be honest, but truthfully God has me covered so I was neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever worried about that. Until further notice, the #SeparatedAtBirth mixtape has been BANNED. Unfortunately, i need for orangemixtapes.com to not post the mixtape as of now until things clear up. Sorry for the wait.
A photo posted by Dee-1 (@dee1music) on



Dee goes on to say,
"I’m not doing my music for him to like or dislike,” Dee-1 said at the time. “I’m doing it for the fans to see that this is someone who heavily influenced me, but I’m choosing to take a direction with my music to where I want to be a role model. Lil Wayne doesn’t seem to be concerned with being a role model through his music, through the content.”

Dee-1 addresses whether or note his safety was in jeopardy after beef sparked with Cash Money Records:

"The topic of my personal safety was also brought up to be honest, but truthfully God has me covered so I was neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever worried about that,” Dee-1 says. "Until further notice, the#SeparatedAtBirth mixtape has been BANNED. Unfortunately, i need for orangemixtapes.com to not post the mixtape as of now until things clear up. Sorry for the wait.”

In a new music video posted to Facebook on Feb. 11, Dee-1 celebrates paying off his student loans, dancing at a toga party, celebrating in front of Tiger Stadium, rhyming Equifax and eating ramen noodles.


Since posting to social media, "Sallie Mae Back" has been viewed about a million times.

In text excerpts in the video, Dee-1 explains what inspired it: "After making the minimum payment on his loans each month (well, some months, lol) Dee-1 signed a record deal and decided to use a chunk of his money to completely finish paying Sallie Mae back."

The video opens with a school administrator rattling off documents he needs from a line of students. Then the party starts.

Sallie Mae responded to Dee-1's new track on the rapper's Facebook, commenting on his post with the video's link: "We're all in the office singing along with you! Love, love, love the hook. Congratulations on your success!"


Watch Dee-1's "Sallie Mae Back" video below.


Some may also remember that back in 2001, Dee-1 took a stab at not only Lil Wayne but at Jay-z and 50 Cent. Check out the video below:


ForeverMeah says... I always go with the underdogs. 



Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.